In this article, we are going to look at the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria.
So many Nigerians are gradually seeing the need of bringing their business to the online community.
But one of the problems they all seem to face is the cost of making this possible.
Basically, the two basic things you are going to invest money in before bringing your business online are:
- Purchasing a domain or Domain name.
- Get a hosting provider for your domain name.
And hope you are already aware of the cost of purchasing a domain name, this article is going to concentrate on the cost of hosting that domain name; which is your website.
However, before we look at the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria in this article, we are going to look at the definition and types of website hosting.
In the long run, this article will help you to know the budget you should set aside when trying to bring your business to the online community.
What is website hosting?
In a nutshell, website hosting is defined as the process of renting or buying a space to store data and files that will be accessible online.
The data or files can be stored as HTML, CSS, texts, images, videos, etc.
It is website hosting that makes all the data and files stored in a domain available to be viewed online.
Types of website hosting plans.
There are basically 5 types of website hosting plans and they are:
- Shared hosting. This involves hosting your website on the same server as many other websites. This type of website hosting is cheap and very easy to set up but is recommended for personal blogs or sites that do not expect so much traffic.
- Dedicated hosting. This type of hosting provides an entire server for you to rent. This hosting is however very expensive when compared to shared hosting and is preferable for websites or blogs that will expect so much traffic.
- VPS hosting. VPS is an acronym for Virtual Private Servers and is considered to be a stepping stone between shared hosting which helps you to get your own dedicated machine. VPS is capable of serving multiple websites. The main difference between VPS and shared hosting is that clients will have access to configure their VPS.
- Cloud hosting. Cloud hosting plan typically offers unmetered, reliable bandwidth and an infinite amount of disc space to unlimited domains that are suitable for large businesses. This type of hosting is able to operate across many interconnected web servers that supply affordable, scalable, and reliable infrastructures for websites.
- Reseller hosting. This is a type of web hosting that allows the account owner to use his own allotted hard drive space and bandwidth to host a website on behalf of third parties. The original hosting provider remains the account owner and hence the “reseller”.
How web hosting works.
Web hosting is said to happen when the data or files stored in a domain are uploaded from a local computer to a web server.
The server’s resources which include RAM, hard drive space, and bandwidth are always allocated to the websites that are going to use it.
How this server is divided depends on the type of hosting plan one chooses. And to choose the desired hosting plan, you must first and foremost be able to understand and differentiate all the plans that are available.
Factors to consider when determining the real cost of a hosting a website in Nigeria
The real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria is going to depend on the following 2 factors:
- Location of your web hosting provider.
- Your web hosting type or plan.
1. Location of your web hosting provider.
The number one thing to consider when determining the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria is the location of your web hosting provider.
You need to decide whether you are going to use a foreign hosting provider or a local one.
The foreign hosting providers I can recommend for you are
And the local hosting providers I can also recommend for you are:
After looking at the second factor to consider when determining the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria, I will display a table that will help you get the price of what both the foreign and local hosting providers will charge you depending on the type of hosting plan you are going to settle for.
2. Your web hosting type or plan.
The second factor to consider when trying to determine the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria is the hosting type or plan you are going to settle for.
Earlier in this article, we listed and explained the types of this website hosting, and for a recap we have:
- Shared hosting.
- Dedicated hosting.
- VPS hosting.
- Cloud hosting.
- Reseller hosting.
The real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria.
Having seen the factors to consider when determining the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria, you can now get the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria from the table below.
Cost of hosting your Website
|Type of website hosting plans.||Foreign Hosting Price||Nigerian Hosting Price|
|Shared Hosting||$1 to $20 per month||₦500 – ₦8,000 per month|
|Dedicated hosting||$50 to $200 per month||₦40,000 – ₦100,000 per month|
|VPS hosting||$15 to $75 per month||₦25,000 – ₦70,000 per month.|
|Cloud hosting||$10 to $100 per month||Nil|
|Reseller hosting||$20 to $100 per month||₦3,000 – ₦10,000 per month|
|Colocation||$70 to $400 per month||Nil|
|Email Hosting||$3 per month||₦1,000 per month|
Having understood how all these website hosting plans works, you can now use the nature of your business to determine the real cost of hosting a website in Nigeria.
By nature of business, I mean if you are going to run a personal or small-scale business website that will not attract that much traffic. Or if you are going to build a bigger online business.
If it is the former then shred hosting is preferable, but if it’s the latter, you can as well settle for a VPS hosting.
I personally started my online business with shared hosting and when my traffic began to mount up, I switched to the VPS I am currently using.